I'm grateful for ...

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year 2019

Gratitude hasn't disappeared from my life these past years, but blogging about it had. New year, new start? We'll see!

I read a TED article about making new year's resolutions more successful by changing just one word -- from saying I NEED to do something (with implied external locus of control) to I WANT to do something. Now, of course, just changing a word doesn't work if I don't also change my mind and my emotions about the desired action or desired outcome. But it's worth a try, and I'm grateful for the new way of looking at resolutions.

I'm especially grateful this year that we had a long visit with Shannon, Josh, and Calvin. Thanks to  Shannon, we have had frequent video calls with Calvin during the year, and thanks to both Josh and Shannon for allowing us to make several visits to their home in Tennessee; all this helped us eliminate the "getting to know who you are all over again" time that is often necessary with toddlers. Delightful visit!

I'm also very very grateful for the time we spend all year with our grandchildren who live in town. Weekly dinners have sometimes needed to be cancelled, but seeing them regularly is one of my continuing joys, as is the great relationship with Amy that has us on the phone or texting a few times a week in addition to the weekly dinner visit. My cup runneth over!

The new year is a great time to give thanks for "givens" in my life that are anything but "given." My sweet, loving, funny, hard-working husband. The house and yard that are our home territory, and that he maintains so diligently. The finances that he manages, which enables us to live comfortably. The tiny RV that enables us to travel on our own schedule and in our own space. And so much more that I am conscious of every single day, but that could be taken for granted.

Finally, I'm grateful for the health both John and I enjoy. It's easy to lose sight of, when common colds and challenges, as well as lethargy kick in -- but overall BOTH of us are pretty darned lucky that nothing major is wrong with these decades-old bodies, and we're still able to participate in an active lifestyle, even if we frequently choose not to.

New Year's Resolutions:

  • I want to feel better physically, and build both strength and flexibility, as well as balance and endurance.
  • I want to use my time more consciously to accomplish goals and learn / improve hobbies and skills, in balance with the leisurely "doing nothing in particular" that we often enjoy.
  • I want to be more connected to our community.
  • I want to be more connected to extended family.

No comments: