I'm grateful for ...

Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Gratitudes



New Year's Eve was extremely enjoyable this year! We celebrated at home, just the five of us: John, me, Amy, Shannon and Josh.

We had a special dinner that John and I cooked, including an unusual quesadilla, a winter fruit salad of bananas, oranges, and Trader Joes' Triple Ginger Snaps, plus a green salad. We were nervous about the quesadillas (:-)) but Shannon and Josh are so fun when it comes to adventurous foods ... and they truly enjoyed the surprising blend of flavors, as we did.

Later in the evening, we drank mulled cider that Josh brewed with spices he chose at Penzey's ... where we gave him a gift card. It was so much fun seeing his enthusiasm as he shopped for poppyseed, Hungarian paprika, whole vanilla beans, and more. (That was one "home run" we hit this year, in choosing the right gifts for people we love! Another for Josh -- with Shannon's help -- was the Body Back Buddy Classic, which Josh had mentioned to her as something that looked interesting. We ordered it in time for our belated Christmas here. He was surprised! And he loves it! Yea!)

Earlier in the day, we had enjoyed a little after-Christmas shopping.

We even tried out some of the Wii games we'd been debating whether to buy -- especially ones we can play together, remotely. We had fun with the Guitar Hero demo -- I don't know if I'm coordinated enough to play the drums or guitar, but I pretty much nailed the vocals ... and it's so much more fun when you find something you're good at! We hit another "home run" by buying Shannon the complete set of Planet Earth dvds, narrated by David Attenborough -- which she uses in her teaching. I can't remember seeing her more excited about a gift we've given her! It helps to have her along when we're doing the shopping!

We also intended to buy a new Wii "party pack" of games, and decided on Game Party 2 ... which Shannon and Josh then bought for US, for Christmas! While it's not the most unique or exciting, according to the reviews, it certainly was enough to keep us busy and happy until well past midnight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, I am also grateful for being able to spend 4 days with you guys. Thanks for everything...especially planet earth, your willingness to format my thesis, AND for helping me with my course design!